Opera released a new app for Android: Opera VPN. Mmh I already heard about it?!, you might say now. No, I guess you've heard about the release of this app for iOS earlier this year (in may). I'll tell you if it's worth it to use this appâ€¦
What do I get with this app?
The answer is pretty easy: A completely free app, which claims to protect you in unsecured WiFi networks. Here's a description from the app's website:
- One of the fastest, most reliable VPN services
- Unblocked access via your choice of five virtual locations (with more coming soon) [Germany, Canada, Netherlands, Singapur and US]
- The ability to determine WiFi network security level, as well as connection encryption and protection from threats
- A built-in ad tracker blocker to stop advertisers from following you around the web
The app might be very cool for the following situations:
- You're using one of those free WiFi networks at McDonals, Starbucks or wherever and you're scared about bad guys capturing your network traffic
- You want to watch a country-restricted YouTube video
- You want to use contry-restricted services in general (like YouTube Music)
- You're at work and don't want to let your boss see what you're doing online
- And a lot moreâ€¦
For that this new app might be actually nice. It's free, unlike many other services, unlimited, that's special too, and it's fast.
But how does Opera earn money with Opera VPN?
Ads. Simple answer. But here comes one doubt now: it has an integrated ad-blocker, but does show ads? Â Yes. Although the ad-blocker might block ads from some websites it shows ads (also ads from Clean Master ).
Nevertheless, somehow they have to earn money, and better they do it by showing ads than selling users data (at least I hope they don't). Opera bought SurfEasy Inc.Â some time ago and now this app is one of the results of the purchase.
Other things to mention about the app
I want to tell you some more things about the app:
- The security is actually nice. It shows you, from which dangerous things Opera VPN protected you.
- The UI is clean and well structured, so it's easy to use.
- Opera integrated funny illustrations of Olaf, the viking.
- The ads are still not very annoying. But this might change in the futureâ€¦
So let's try the app and tell me your opinion about it! Here you can find the official introduction video: